- If a person of status gives a command to somebody beneath him, the person will carry out that duty with love, honor, and in a respectful manner. Why don’t we exert the same effort in fulfilling the commands of Allah, who has the highest authority?
* We feel honored to fulfill the command of somebody of status/respect
* The person giving the command is not the cause of harm or benefit, yet we are still obliged to fulfill the duty in a good manner
* Allah SWT does not benefit from the command, but the person giving the command in the dunya does
* We should be ashamed of ourselves that if one person in the dunya is giving a command, we fulfill it in an excellent way, but if Allah SWT is giving a command, we pay no attention.
- A minister of the king came to Dhul-Nun al-Misri (RA) asking him to make dua that he continue to be in the service of the king and continue to be sincere to him and the king remain happy with him. Dhul-Nun al-Misri heard this and started crying and said: If I was to fear Allah in the manner this minister fears this king, then I would surely be from the siddiqeen.
* Shaykh Sadi (RAH) in a poem says if the minister feared Allah in the same manner he feared the king, he would have become an angel
- There is a man who has a reputation of being a liar. If he tells us there is an enemy lurking close and to prepare, we would hesitate in not believing him and we would prepare. Our intellect tells us that even though this man is a liar, we cannot take the chance of him informing us of a calamity and us not preparing. The Prophet (ﷺ) never lied in his entire life. How do we deal with the Prophet (ﷺ) and how do we deal with the liar?
* The Prophet (ﷺ) has told us of the perils of the Hereafter. What preparation are we making?
* We take extra caution in matters of the dunya. How can we continue to not take caution when it comes to matters of our faith?
* What sort of iman is this where a liar’s word is treated with more superiority than the words of the Prophet (ﷺ)?
- A person does not follow the commands of Allah because of two reasons:
* 1. The person does not believe the word of Allah is true
* 2. The person does not understand the grandeur of Allah and does not think the command of Allah to be superior to the command of a human
- إِنَّمَا ٱلتَّوۡبَةُ عَلَى ٱللَّهِ لِلَّذِينَ يَعۡمَلُونَ ٱلسُّوٓءَ بِجَهَـٰلَةٍ۬ (Verily Allah accepts the repentance of the one who commits evil out of ignorance Surah 4, Verse 17)
* The ulema have written when a believer commits rebellion, he rebels from a state of ignorance
o Deep down, each one of us understands who Allah is and knows of His grandeur. Our nafs, wanting to rebel and taste the pleasures of the dunya, suppresses our knowledge of Allah and puts us into a state of heedlessness. It is very difficult to consciously sin
* We allow the onslaught of our nafs because subconsciously we desire the pleasure
- إِنَّ ٱلَّذِينَ ٱتَّقَوۡاْ إِذَا مَسَّہُمۡ طَـٰٓٮِٕفٌ۬ مِّنَ ٱلشَّيۡطَـٰنِ تَذَڪَّرُواْ فَإِذَا هُم مُّبۡصِرُونَ (Surely when the God-fearing are touched by an instigation from Satan, they become conscious (of Allah) and at once they are fully aware of what is happening around them Surah 7, Verse 201)
* This verse refers to when a believer is conscious
* While a person is remembering Allah, he cannot commit a sin
- وَمَا يَسۡتَوِى ٱلۡأَحۡيَآءُ وَلَا ٱلۡأَمۡوَٲتُۚ (And the living and the dead are not alike Surah 35, Verse 22)
* We have two states, either we are fully alive or completely dead
* A believer is analogous to one who is alive and a kafir is analogous to one who is dead
- وَٱللَّهُ بَصِيرُۢ بِمَا تَعۡمَلُونَ (Allah keeps in sight whatever you do Surah 49, Verse 18)
* So how could we still do what we wanted to do if Allah SWT is watching us? The only way is if we allow the nafs to overcome us for that moment in time, so that a person can become heedless for those moments and the thought of Allah SWT subsides.
- The example of humans and the dunya is like a ship in water. The ship needs the water, but if the ship allows the water in, the ship will sink. We need the dunya, but if we allow the dunya to come inside of us, we will drown
- Keeping good company, being in a good environment, and doing the daily ma’molaat will help us succeed
Remembrance of Allah
- وَإِن مِّن شَىۡءٍ إِلَّا يُسَبِّحُ بِحَمۡدِهِۦ وَلَـٰكِن لَّا تَفۡقَهُونَ تَسۡبِيحَهُمۡۗ (And there is not a single thing that does not extol His purity along with His praise, but you do not understand their extolling Surah 17, Verse 44)
* A miracle of the Prophet (ﷺ) was when he held the pebbles and people heard the tasbih the pebbles were making. The miracle was not that the Prophet (ﷺ) made the pebbles do tasbih. The miracle was that people were able to hear the tasbih, which the pebbles usually make at a level beyond our perception
- Hadith: Refresh your iman with the words of la ilaha illAllah Muhammad rasool Allah
* The remembrance of Allah revitalizes our iman; otherwise it will become stale
* If we stopped refreshing our physical appearance by not showering and not cleaning ourselves, the dirt and filth would increase. The same happens to us spiritually when we do not refresh our iman with the remembrance of Allah SWT
- Allah SWT sent the angel of death to take the soul of a person. The angel of death looked through the whole world and could not find that person. He comes back to Allah saying he could not find him. Allah says you could not find him because he is in My remembrance. The moment he stops, you will see him.
- When the water flows in the stream, it is due to the remembrance of Allah SWT. As for stagnant water, bacteria starts forming in it because it is no longer remembering Allah SWT
- A leaf stays green as long as it is in the remembrance of Allah SWT. It only turns brown when it has stopped remembering Allah SWT